March Update from the Board:
- Alberta Speed Skating Performance Badge Program: Performance badges for races up to December 1sthave been distributed to all athletes. We have depleted the provincial badge inventory and hope to get badges on backorder by March so we can complete distributing badges for the long track competitions at the skate rental return. The remaining badges will be distributed at the CSSA Gala. White badge: participating in 1stcompetition. Green, Red, Iron, Bronze, Silver and Gold badges are all time-based for both short-track (200m, 400m, 1500m 3000m) and long-track (300m, 500m, 1500m, 3000m). See the Alberta Amateur Speed Skating Association website for the details of the time standards: http://www.albertaspeedskating.ca/images/AASSA_Badge_Program_v30Nov2018.pdf
- The Cutting Edge Pin Program from Speed Skating Canada: focuses on skills development for skaters and has 11 levels. The pins were distributed by the coaching staff in March.
- WestJet fundraiser: Thanks to Brad Gilbert, our friendly WestJet pilot, the CSSA have been the lucky recipients of WestJet flight passes for our raffle. Our draw was done on March 12 and the winners are: 1stPrize (2 WestJet flight passes): Kim Chulsky; 2ndPrize (CSSA skin suit): Steve Robinson. The person who sold the most tickets ($100 gift card at Chinook and Market Mall): Addison Bowie (Y3). The group that proportionately sold the most tickets (Pizza Party): Y3. The pizza party will be held in room 54 on the skate rental return night on Tuesday March 19that 6 PM.
- Cindy Klassen visit: It was great to see one of Canada’s greatest Olympians on March 5th. She signed a lot of autographs and took numerous pictures with all our athletes.
- End of Season: Friday March 15 will be the last day of the 2018-19 speed skating season. The Oval will be removing the ice surface following a competition on the March 15thweekend. The ice will be re-installed in mid-June. The CSSA coaching staff will be discussing groups promotions in the month of April & will be adding a third teen group for next season due to the growth in club members. Skaters will be advised of which group they should register in before registration opens for the 2019-2020 season in June.
- Skate rental return: Skates can be returned on the following dates on Tuesday March 19thfrom 6 – 8 PM. Alternatively, they can be returned Tuesday April 16thfrom 4 – 6 PM prior to the AGM on April 16.
· RU Fast: The CSSA’s largest competition was successfully held on the long weekend (it was the only date available from the Oval), February 16-17. Arne Dankers, Olympian and World Record holder in long track speed skating, and his wife Kerry, also an Olympian are both CSSA members were on hand for an autograph & photo session prior to the awards presentation on Sunday. A huge thank you to the organizing committee, especially to our member at large, Kim Patterson, as well as all the other volunteer parents, officials and Oval staff for putting on such a successful event. Congratulations also to all skaters who performed very well and achieved many personal bests.
· Masters International Short-Track (MIST) Games: The CSSA is supporting a proposal to host the Games in April 10-11, 2021. The organizing committee is moving forward with the announcement in the next month.
- Save the dates: Annual General Meeting: Tuesday, April 16. Anyone interested in becoming a Board member is encouraged to notify the CSSA President, Josie Daub ([email protected]) Some Board members are looking at stepping down, so there will be a few openings; End of season Gala: Friday, April 26 at the Calgary Winter Club.
- Registration for summer programs will start in the next few days – watch for the separate e-mail.
- Preliminary survey results: 73 responses were received and over 90% indicated they would return skating with the CSSA next season. 47% indicated they would like a brand new skinsuit design, with 30% opting for the Louis Garneau introduced in 2017-18 and 23% choosing the Apogee suit from 2016 and prior. Additional information will be presented at the AGM on April 16.
· CSSA athletes in the news: Attending the CanWest ST Championships in Grande Prairie March 23-24, 2019: Tatiana De Vlieg, Jasmine Bao, Claire Fenton, Elise Prpich, Alexandra Volstad, Cecile Ferraro, Annika Johnston, Sarah Feschuk, Elliot Kellough, Kendra Hawkins, Ahmed Sbeiti, Arman Virani, Andre Erasmus
Canada Winter Games: Short-track: Brendan Yamada won a bronze in an individual event as well as a silver in the relay withMathias Bathe. Caitlin Pelkey (one of our Y3 coaches) won a silver in the relay along with Molly YoungLong-track: Paul Coderre won gold in the team pursuit,Brooklyn McDougall won a gold, silver & bronze in her individual races as well as silver in the team pursuit with Anna Bourgeois.