- Fall Program Registration Opened June 3. Program starts Tuesday September 3, 2019. Program details can be found on the CSSA website for both Youth & Teens. Early bird pricing ends July 31, 2019. Registration link on 2019 RAMP is: https://www.rampregistrations.com/login?v3=cee9308e4d
- Ryan Hickman, 2018-19 Coaching Award of Excellence: Congratulations to senior teen short-track coach Ryan Hickman for receiving the Coaching Award of Excellence from Speed Skating Canada for his meaningful contributions to the sport during the past season.
- Try Speed Skating: Do you have friends that are interested in trying out speed skating? Have them register for upcoming summer & fall tryouts at either the Oval or at the new Seven Chiefs Sportsplex in Tsuu T’ina. Sign up through the CSSA website which will lead you to 2019 RAMP: https://www.rampregistrations.com/a/?v3=cee9308e4d
- Alberta Winter Games: will be held in Airdrie February 14 – 20, 2020. Speed skating events will be long-track only and will be held at the Oval. Top 3 girls & boys from each zone in T2T 1 (11-12girls/12-13 boys) & T2T 2 (girls 13-14/boys 14-15) will be selected. Each zone will be determining their own selection criteria by September 2019. CSSA has skaters in Zone 2 (Cochrane, etc. outside Calgary) & Zone 3 (Calgary only).
- Kelly Anne Erdman, sports dietitian: The CSSA is pleased to announce that we have secured the services of Kelly Anne Erdman for the 2019-20 season. She will be hosting monthly nutrition seminars and hands-on workshops for athletes and coaches. Kelly Anne has been a nutrition consultant to high-performance athletes for many years, including numerous Olympic Games athletes and the Calgary Flames hockey team. She is also working with athletes in the Oval speed skating program.
- Sports psychologist: The CSSA is actively looking to secure the services of a sports psychologist for the 2019-20 season which we are hoping to announce next month.
- New Junior Events: Edmonton Speed Skating Club will be hosting a new junior specific event in Edmonton (ages 13-17 on 111m track). The date will be Thursday January 2nd, 2020. We hope to have 3-4 junior events around the province in the next year or so to encourage athletes to continue competing and broaden their competition experience.
- Seton YMCA & Tsuu T’ina: CSSA has been working with the Oval Regional Development Committee to operationalize those two locations for September. The Oval will be signing a contract for ice times at Seton & the CSSA will be providing some administrative support, such as registration. We are still working on getting a contract for Tsuu T’ina and progress is slowly being made.
- Upcoming Important Dates:
Tuesday August 27, 2019: Skate rental, parking pass pick-up, speed suit & clothing sizing
Tuesday September 3, 2019: Start of all Fall programs
Saturday September 7, 2019: Welcome BBQ for all families
Week of September 9, 2019: Coaches will meet with parents on program overview
Week of September 23, 2019: Meetings with new parents or parents new to T2T
Saturday October 5, 2019: Coaching fundamentals course
- Preliminary Competition Calendar: is available on the Alberta Amateur Spped Skating Association website under the google calendar view: http://www.albertaspeedskating.ca/events/event-schedule/google-calendar