· Fall Program Registration Opened June 3. Program starts Tuesday September 3, 2019. Program details can be found on the CSSA website for both Youth & Teens. Registration link on 2019 RAMP is: https://www.rampregistrations.com/login?v3=cee9308e4d
- Tuesday August 27, 2019 6:00 – 8:00 PM – skate rental pick-up and parking pass pick-up: Skate rental pick up will be at North Storage location at ice level. Skate rentals must be PAID prior to pick-up. Skate rental deposit cheque for $250 as well volunteer cheque ($500 for 1 skater; $700 for 2+ skaters) must also be handed in. Skate rentals are included in registration fees for all EXCEPT teen groups and adults. To pay for rentals, log onto Ramp under skate rental (see link above). Parking passes are not included in any registration fees and must be paid for separately. To pay for parking passes, log onto Ramp under miscellaneous. Parking passes can be picked up on the 2ndfloor of Oval entrance (concession area) where used clothing and equipment as well as new skinsuit and other clothing samples can be ordered.
· New Logo: CSSA will be unveling its new logo. It is a more modern and abstract design, in shades of blue. All registered skaters will be receiving a water bottle and a buff (headwear) – in lieu of a hoodie for 2019-2020. Additional clothing and accessories can be tried on and ordered on Tuesday August 27 at the skate rental pick-up.
· Alberta Winter Games CORRECTION: will be held in Airdrie February 14 – 17, 2020. Speed skating events will be long-track only and will be held at the Oval. Top 3 girls & boys from each zone in T2T 1 (11-12 years old) & T2T 2 (13-14 years old) will be selected, based on age as of June 30, 2019 – NOTE: Age groups are the SAME for both boys and girls, which is different from Speed Skating Canada age groups. Each zone will be determining their own selection criteria by September 2019. CSSA has skaters in Zone 2 (Cochrane, etc. outside Calgary) & Zone 3 (Calgary only). Ryan Hickman (teen coach) will be one of the coaches/chaperones for Zone 2 and will be happy to answer any questions.
· Kelly Anne Erdman, sports dietitian:
Kelly Anne has been a nutrition consultant to high performance athletes for many years, including numerous Olympic Games athletes, the Calgary Flames hockey team and the Oval speed skating program. There are 6 interactive sessions planned this year starting September 10, October 8, November 5 and December 10. Sessions will be held on Tuesdays either before or after practice so athletes, coaches and parents can attend.
· Clare Fewster, Sports psychologist: The CSSA is pleased to announce that Clare Fewster will be providing sports psychology services for the 2019-20 season. There are 6 sessions planned this year starting September 24, October 22, November 12, December 3. Sessions will be held on Tuesdays either before or after practice so athletes, coaches and parents can attend.
· New Junior Events: Edmonton Speed Skating Club will be hosting a new junior specific event in Edmonton (ages 13-17 on 111m track). The date will be Thursday January 2nd, 2020. We hope to have 3-4 junior events around the province in the next year or so to encourage athletes to continue competing and broaden their competition experience.
· Seton YMCA & Tsuu T’ina: CSSA has been working with the Oval Regional Development Committee to operationalize those two locations for September. The Oval will be signing a contract for ice times at Seton & the CSSA will be providing some administrative support, such as registration. We are still working on getting a contract for Tsuu T’ina and have started registration for the location.
· Upcoming Important Dates:
Tuesday August 27, 2019: Skate rental, parking pass pick-up, speed suit & clothing sizing
August 30 – Sept. 2, 2019: Canmore Labour Day camp
Tuesday September 3, 2019: Start of all Fall programs
Saturday September 7, 2019: Welcome lunch for all families, including presentation to new parents and to parents whose kids are new to T2T.
Week of September 9, 2019: Coaches will meet with parents on program overview
Week of September 9, 2019: Start of Seton & Tsuut’ina programs.
Saturday October 5, 2019: Coaching fundamentals course
Preliminary Competition Calendar: is available on the Alberta Amateur Speed Skating Association website: http://www.albertaspeedskating.ca/events/event-schedule/google-calendar.
Key events for CSSA skaters:
· October 26-27:Lethbridge meet
· November 2: Red Deer meet (at the new Canada Games facility)
· November 9–11:Edmonton Fall Classic
· December 7: Canmore meet
· December 14-15: Edmonton long-track (outdoor)
· January 2: Junior short-track invitational, Edmonton
· January 11-12: CSSA Alberta long-track at the Oval
· January 18–19: Red Deer long-track (qualifier) (outdoor)
· January 25: Rocky Mountain House meet
· March 7–8: CSSA RU Fast at the Oval
· March 21: West Edmonton Mall meet