It is important to properly maintain your skate during the season. Regular maintenance helps keep the skater performing optimally and ensures a longer life for the skate.
Tips for skate maintenance:
- Clean skates after each use by wiping with dry cloth and wrapping in Terry Cloth type of material to protect the blade edges. Hard skate guards are to be used when you are walking from the dressing room to the ice surface and return to the dressing room. The skate blades should be covered with the skate booty or similar type of material for 24 hours until the moisture is drawn out of the skate blade. DO NOT STORE THE SKATES IN THE GAURDS. If you keep the plastic skate guards on the blades while they are damp, rust will form and damage the skate blade edges.
- Keep skates sharp. Get your skates sharpened regularly (at least once/month). This can be done by using club equipment or at the Oval Skate Shop. Ask your coach how to get this done.
- If you find that the skates are very uncomfortable then consider heat molding the boots to your feet.
- Checking skate hardware: Before you put on your skates check that all nuts and bolts are tight and that there are no visible signs of deterioration.
- Short track blades are intended for use only on indoor short tracks at practice and sanctioned competitions. Any damage to club blades when used on outdoor natural ice will be the financial responsibility of the skater.
- Generally, look after your skates. These skates are expensive.