The new Board had their first meeting recently and are already busy beavers. In an effort to improve the transparency and communication from the Board, here are a few highlights:
- Approving the move of the staff payroll from an independent contractor to a specialized payroll services company, which is a much more cost-effective solution.
- Supporting Sam Pollock in the NCCP Competition Development training and certification this summer. It is a significant investment in time and other qualified coaches were unable to make the commitment.
- All coaches have expressed their desire to return next season.
- Receiving the extension of a $7k equipment grant which will be spent this summer either on skates and/or an inventory system.
- A few members will be attending the AASSA AGM in Red Deer on May 26-27 as well as the Sport Calgary AGM, which was held on May 3, 2018.
- The Oval has provided dates for our club events: Alberta Long Track on the weekend of January 12, 2019 and RU Fast on the weekend of February 16, 2019 (due to the Oval hosting the World All-Round Championships in early March).
- Tsuut’ina update: Due to construction delays, the ice rinks will likely open in Spring 2019. Our proposal for a speed skating program in the south will be delayed to the 2019-2020 season.
- A huge thank you to all CSSA volunteers who worked the Casino on May 21-22, 2018. Thanks to those efforts, the CSSA will receive $60,000 – $65,000 to help fund programs over the next two years.
- The Oval has confirmed that the ice will only be available starting July 30. As a result, we will be reviewing the summer programs and get back to the membership as quickly as possible.
- A strategic planning day for the Board will be held on June 9.
- Board meetings will be held at 6:00 PM on the 2nd Tuesday of every month and all members are welcome to attend. During the season (September to March), Board meetings are held at the Oval Boardroom.