Please find below an update from the last Board of Directors meeting:
- VC Skater: Further to our search, the Board approved Madeline Chomin as the new VC Skater for the CSSA. Madeline had been working alongside the previous VC Skater managing the social media page.
- Treasurer: Unfortunately, due to a conflict of interest with his employer, Nathan Angelozzi has resigned as Treasurer of CSSA. The Board has approved Bart-Jan Jorna as the new Treasurer for the CSSA. Bart-Jan is a CPA CMA and it was felt important to have an accredited accountant in this position. Nathan will support Bart-Jan during the transition. We are excited to have Madeline & Bart-Jan join the Board!
- Office Administrator: Carole Yen will be getting married and on her honeymoon during September. Wen-Shu Huang will be helping out in the office during Carole’s absence.
- Oval Ice: The Oval ice is back and open for business since July 30.
- Equipment Grant Update: The granting agency did not approve a change in use of our funds. As a result, we purchased 18 pairs of skates for our inventory as had been originally requested.
- Banner over Roadway: Have you seen our banner advertising the CSSA? It is over Crowchild Trail on the south side of the pedestrian overpass by Varsity/Dalhousie from August 5 – 18.
- Promotion: A promotional document has been developed for hockey and ringette players to try speed skating and been e-mailed to hockey associations as well as Hockey Calgary
- Alberta Speed Skating Casino: They are looking for volunteers on Aug 19-20 for their casino. Go to the website for further info & sign-up sheet: www.albertaspeedskating.ca
- In-Person Registration & Skate Pick-Up: will be on Tuesday August 28.
- Need a New Speedsuit?: Samples to try on for sizing will be available on August 28 at the in-person registration/skate rental pick-up as well as at the welcome BBQ on Sept. 8.
- Absolute Speed (try speed skating sessions): Six sessions will be held in August. Potential new members are encouraged to register for these on our website.
- Fall Programs: Registration is open with early bird prices until August 14, 2018. Ice times for each group have now been posted on the website.
- Welcome BBQ, Officials Clinic, Skate Sharpening Clinic: will be on Saturday Sept. 8. More details to come.
- FUNdamentals Leader Coaching Course: Tentative date set for Sept. 22. Great opportunity for senior teens and parents who would like to assist on-ice.
Josie Daub, President
Calgary Speed Skating Association