Please find below an update from the last Board of Directors meeting:
- VC Skater: Due to family reasons, our VC Skater, Heather Liska has had to step down. Heather had been an energetic and motivated addition to the Board last year and will be greatly missed. As a result, we have an opening for VC Skater. Should anyone be interested in filling this role, please e-mail [email protected]. The key duties of the VC Skater are to act as the parent liaison, communicate with the membership and coordinate the social media presence.
- AASSA AGM: 3 representatives from the CSSA were in attendance at the Red Deer Alberta Amateur Speed Skating Association (AASSA) AGM. We were given a tour of the new outdoor long track ice facility for the Canada Winter Games. CSSA Registrar, Tanveer Virani, was lauded for programming personal best times and race history, which has been published on the AASSA website. Marc Poulin (Calgary Grizzlies) was named Chair of the Skater Development Committee. The current badge reward program is currently being revised to target younger skaters.
- Registration System: We will continue with the current RAMP system as other alternatives were more expensive.
- Equipment Grant Update: We have proposed to purchase an inventory system with bar code to manage the CSSA skate inventory. We are awaiting a response from the granting agency.
- Banner over roadway: The CSSA has received permission from the City of Calgary to advertise speed skating programs with a banner over Crowchild Trail in August.
- Summer programs: The summer programs have been revised to account for the Oval ice being available starting July 30th only. We are still awaiting confirmation of ice times for the month of August from the Oval.
- Absolute Speed (try speed skating sessions): We have tentatively booked sessions in August but are still awaiting confirmation of ice times from the Oval.
- Fall programs: Registration will start in July. Most coaches have indicated their intent to return and contracts have been distributed to the coaches of the teen programs.